- A passport or an equivalent national identity document is required to travel to the Dominican Republic. United States and Canadian Citizens can enter with a tourist card purchased at the port of entry.
- Citizens of countries for which visas are required can enter the Dominican Republic with the purchase of a tourist card if the traveler already has a visa for legal entry to the US, Canada, European Union or Great Britain. Others need to request a visa at the closest Dominican consulate.
- Citizens of the following countries can enter the Dominican Republic without a visa or tourist card: Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Peru, Liechtenstein and Uruguay.
- The Dominican Republic charges at USD $20 departure tax that must be paid before leaving the airport.
- The departure tax may have been included in your package price and we recommend you speak with your Tour Operator/Travel Agent to clarify.
- Dominican peso is the currency used in the Dominican Republic.
- The current exchange rate is 1 US dollar = 39.1000 Dominican pesos, 1 euro = 47.9249 Dominican pesos.
- However, exchange rates fluctuate often so it is recommended that you research the current exchange rate closer to your date of travel.
How’s the weather?
- The Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean, so temperatures are generally quite warm year round. Be aware that the Dominican Republic has multiple climate zones. This means the weather can vary depending on where you are in the country. Officially the Caribbean hurricane season runs from the beginning of June to the end of November. It should be noted that most hurricane activity in the region of the Caribbean where the Dominican Republic is located occurs during August and September.
What should I wear?
- Day wear should be casual. Lightweight cotton clothing and swimwear attire are perfect for day. Night life is a popular attraction in the DR. Therefore, gourmet dining and cocktail attire is required in most restaurants (no shorts or beach cover-ups). For certain activities like golf or shopping in town, appropriate attire is recommended.
Will my appliances work?
- If traveling from the United States, your appliances will match the wall outlets and will work just fine.
- If you are traveling from European countries you will need to purchase a wall adapter and a voltage converter.
Is the water safe?
- It is strongly recommended not to drink the water in the Dominican Republic.
- Hotels use purified water to clean and cook their food.
- It is also okay to have ice in your beverage because it is made using purified water.
- It is recommended that you have bottled water on hand and to use it even when brushing your teeth.